Circular 17-2022 – Independent Panel to Review Senior Public Service Recruitment
20 December 2022
Dear Branch Secretary
A three-member Independent Review Panel has been established by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and is currently conducting a review of the current recruitment and pay determination processes in place for Senior Public Service posts, in particular arrangements in the Civil Service. With a view to ensuring that clear guidelines are in place that are open, transparent, and objective, the review will encompass consideration of the following:
- The current Recruitment Process; To independently assess the current end-to-end recruitment process in place for Senior Public Service posts, in particular in the Civil Service, to provide recommendations and guidance on measures and strategies to improve processes and outcomes. In the above context, to:
- Examine the role and processes of the Top Level Appointments Committee (TLAC) and how it is supported;
- Examine the role of relevant stakeholders in the recruitment process with reference to relevant Governance frameworks and the Code of Practice for Appointment to Positions in the Civil Service and Public Service;
- In relation to Secretaries General posts in the Civil Service, review the process of confirming appointments including the requirement for a Government Memorandum and decision. Consideration of analogous recruitment and selection processes undertaken in other countries. Review the current approach, criteria and end-to-end processes for Interim appointments to Senior Public Service posts and to make recommendations.
- Processes for determining terms and conditions of employment; and
- In relation to Secretaries General, current arrangements in place at end of term
You can find the terms of reference here. The Executive is considering making a submission to this Independent Review Panel on the recruitment element of the review and in that context would welcome the views of members. Those views can be sent to email@example.com by Wednesday the 4th of January, 2023 and will be dealt with on a confidential basis.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Please circulate to all members.
This circular will be placed on the Association’s website www.ahcps.ie